Thursday, October 28, 2010

Easy Baby Jacket to Sew: Another One-Yard Wonders Project

The Baby Fly Away Jacket in the One Yard Wonders book caught my attention when I first looked through this book.  I knew I would be making at least one of these cute jackets, and now that I have, I predict I will make more.

This is a super easy project that makes up in just minutes.  The directions in the book call for one layer of flannel, and then using bias tape to bind all the raw edges.  Which will work beautifully, I am sure.

But I decided to skip the bias tape and make this little jacket lined and reversible instead:



To make this jacket this way, all you have to do is cut and sew 2, instead of one.  Then place them right sides together and sew a narrow seam allowance all around the sides, neck, and bottom, leaving an opening for turning.  Clip your seams, notching around the curves, turn, press, and then close the opening and top stitch all around.  Then you just fold under the raw sleeve edges on both sides (together) and top stitch these down.  and Voila! This works out even easier than the original instructions of using bias tape, in my opinion.  Next I want to try to enlarge this and make one for my toddler, and add a hood.

I must have made more than a dozen projects from this awesome book by now, and I will make many more.  Here are some I have shown on this blog already:
casserole cozies
the Folklore Bag
Ladies Jammies

I thought I had posted the bias skirt as well; I have made half a dozen or more of these skirts and this is my favorite pattern in this book so far.  I will go and photograph my most favorite one and post that next.

If you don't have it yet, you really should buy this book now!
Happy Sewing!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I love that you made this reversable. When I have a little one...this is going to be one of my first sewing projects!

The REAL EverSewSweet said...

I have made a dozen or so of these jackets, and I've made two reversible (denim on one side, flannel on the other). I put them wrong sides together, and used bias tape, like the book, but I wanted to do it this way. The sleeves had me stumped. I should have followed my gut - because the way you did it is how I FELT I should do it. Next time. Thank you!!!!!

Thendral said...

Wow this is very cute. I shall try it one day.

Liberty said...

Great idea to make it reversible!! It turned out super cute. :)