Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gift Idea: The Folklore Bag

Hi, Ya'll.  I am sorry; this is not the new tutorial from me.  I have been dealing with Mr.Green and a little boy not feeling well, which has kept me quite busy, and now I think the sickness is in me.   When I was finally able to make it into my sewing room last night, I realized that I was behind on my gift making.  So I used the time to cross more gifts off my list, instead of making the tutorial for my way of making baby blocks.  I have already made blocks for all the babies on my list, and so I made bags for my sister in laws first.  I promise I will get that tutorial up soon.

Here are the bags I made last night:



While I have made lots of bags before, this is the first time I have followed a pattern for a purse.  The pattern is the Folklore Bag, designed by Lauren Booth, which is one of several cute bag patterns that comes with One Yard Wonders.  I have mentioned this book here before, and now I am mentioning it again, because it is pretty awesome.  There are 101 patterns in this book, and believe me, you can find a lot of ideas for gifts (and using up your fabric stash) in this book.  If you haven't ordered this book yet, just click on over to Amazon and order it now; you will be glad you did.  Here is the link:  



I am just out of medium weight interfacing, but instead of making a trip to the store, I made those bags by quilting the outer fabric to pieces of a sturdy canvas curtain I thrifted.  I also used velcro in lieu of magnetic purse closures.  I bet the magnetic closures are much nicer than velcro, but I am all about using what I have.

I think I will make one more of these.  I just made a smaller version pattern based on this design, and am about to go in there and try to do a zippered pouch in this shape....if it works, I will show that off, too.  I plan to work on bags for the rest of this day, as I can do different types of bags for several folks on my Christmas list.  I kinda liked doing it with a pattern, maybe I will look around for something cute in a free tutorial.  Do you have a favorite bag pattern?  I would love to know what you like, do tell us!

I will be back soon.  In the meantime, have a great day, and happy sewing!

1 comment:

mom said...

cute bags! I have that book, but with our recent move and the HOT weather, I've hardly cracked it open...must get on that :-)

found you on mdc!